No kitchen can not do without knives.Even the most modern.And even with a dozen of the best food processor.But the blades were long, their choice should be approached carefully and with knowledge.
Choosing kitchen knives correctly ...
content of the article:
- knives What is better?
- metal or ceramic
- 10 selection rules
- Ranking of the best companies
- How to store?
Types of kitchen knives that are always needed
One small kitchen knife.This campaign can do a pocketknife, and a kitchen for everyone "ritual" actions - his knife.Versed in their mission - what knives come in handy in the kitchen?
- knife for bread / baguettes: long blade (toothed, wavy), equal to the width along its entire length, a big shift.
- Kitchen Trio: long knives (25 to 45 cm) wide blade, sharp tip, always rounded cutting surface.Purpose - cutting products with a strong structure.
- Knife for cleaning vegetables / fruits: shortened blade, sharp tip, only a smooth cutting surface, a large comfortable handle.Or a knife with a blade between the 2 arms to the presence of holes in the "body" (for potatoes, carrots, etc.).
- knife for cutting meat with bones: narrow, medium length, curled to the tip of the blade at the base expanded, the cutting surface has no chipping - smooth.
- knife for slicing sausage and cheese: long blade (wide enough), cutting surface without bending.
- knife fish: flexible blade of equal width in all areas, a long, jagged.
- Cutlery knives (butter, paste): blade of medium length, broad, rounded tip.
- knife mushrooms: shortened, plastic, stiff brush on the handle to clean the hats.
- Knife Axe: butcher, cutting bones.The wide blade, powerful grip.
metal or ceramic knives?
ceramic and metal blades are not interchangeable.In spite of the utility, a significant difference in the knife.On the plus / minus metal knives know everything, so to understand the peculiarities of ceramic ...
- composition of the ceramic blade - zirconia (very solid).If the sharpness of the metal blade after sharpening missing for a month, then this period ceramic can be easily multiplied by 10. Although properly operated knife sharpening is not needed at all.
- ceramic material is non-porous. Accordingly, the taste of the product is not transferred to another.After cutting, such as hot peppers and garlic, you just rinse the blade and you can continue working.
- density structure of the ceramic knife and minimum porosity provides hygiene device and facilitates its cleaning.
- Ceramic Knife lighter metal. Accordingly, the lower the load on the arm and shoulder.
- ceramic knife does not rust , does not oxidize, it is not magnetized, and resistant to scratches.
- fragility. Cut ceramic knife bones and frozen meat, you can not - it is for such purposes is simply not designed.If you fall on the floor metal knife can bend, break off from the ceramic tip.
- ceramic knife is not universal (he goes only to individual actions in the kitchen).
- cost ceramic knife higher prices for the metal.
- Sharpen ceramic knives alone is not recommended .
10 rules of selection of kitchen knives
Choosing the knives in the kitchen, pay attention to the following points:
- quality blade. Best Cook knives are made from stainless steel, chrome add to the hardness.Either use chromium alloyed with vanadium and molybdenum, - to lower brittleness.Forged blade - the best and most durable.
- Sharpening (efficiency of the cutting edge of the knife). If you look at the knife side, you notice that it resembles a cutting surface traveling wave (exception - a bread knife) and slightly extended to the tip, you can safely return the unit to the store shelves.No dents / chips on the cutting surface should not be.The best option - a brilliant unbroken line from the handle to the very tip.Ideally, the cutting part is impossible to discern.And one more thing: the cutting surface of the blade at the highest quality will always be two-way.
- handle. Wood: comfortable for hands, is not heated, but eventually loses its appearance - wears and "acquires" the cracks, which, in turn, become clogged with fat.The habit of leaving a knife in the sink also prolongs its life.Plastic handle: strong and durable material, does not deteriorate with prolonged contact with water, but to identify hidden length steel deck, alas, is impossible.A fabric (in a note) shall extend until the end of the handle, otherwise it eventually get loose and just fall out.Metal handle - ideal: strong, not loose, to not break or crack.
- surface of the blade. It should be no scratches, stains, various roughness and indent.That is, the material composition must be homogeneous.
- method of sharpening the blade. Laser sharpening (Matt risk-notch - the hallmark) - the best option.More expensive, but do not require sharpening and durable.The blade of the knife is tempered metal with conventional metal inside (when SEWING hardened areas exposed base metal, and self-sharpening effect can be observed).
- mount blade. knife blade must necessarily pass through the entire length of the handle - not half or 2/3 stick.Polished rivets on the handle must firmly adhere to the substrate and does not protrude from the grooves.Moulded plastic handle without rivets - a bad option.
- cost.Price quality knife can be low.It is naive to hope for longevity and a super-property of a knife, purchased at the price of a loaf of bread.
- access to the knife. quality knife is always possible to get out of the packaging, twist the hands and appreciate his "touch."Acquire a knife in the package, which is not open is not recommended.
- convenience.Check severity of the knife in his hand and comfort - not outweighed by the handle the blade itself, not too heavy knife, how convenient for the thickness of the palm of the handle.
- edge sharpness. If you are told that this wonderful knife can be sharpened at home by myself, feel free to look for another device.Cutting properties will depend on the angle of sharpening.Proprietary high-quality knives are sharpened on professional equipment, and at home to do it is simply impossible.
Ranking of the best manufacturers of knives
clear that a knife, for example, "Solingen" is always better than any knife unknown local bottling company bought on the street around the corner.Therefore, the main focus - to manufacturer.And we'll show you, knives public companies are recognized as the best.
- Wusthof Dreizack, Solingen, Germany. hardened carbon steel of the highest quality, hand-sharpened bottom edge, corrosion resistance of the metal.
- Zwilling JAHenckels, Solingen, Germany. High strength blade, hand-sharpening, absolute corrosion resistance, the blade of a single piece of steel.
- Victorinox, Schwyz, Switzerland. steel with carbon, silicon, chromium, manganese and molybdenum, does not rust, hardness RC 56.
- Sabatier, Thiers, France. Stainless steel, thin handle, circular base.
- Dick, deizisau, Germany. High quality stainless steel.
- GLOBAL, Japan. molybdenum-vanadium steel CROMOVA.Cold hardening.Resistance to corrosion.Long service life.
- Arcos, Spain. High quality, long life, beautiful appearance.
- Del Ben, Italy. High quality stainless steel, manual processing to "finish" the handle of valuable tree species, chic design.
- Evercut, France. Sophisticated design, high quality, strength and durability, style.
How to store knives in the kitchen right?
experience - the son of errors difficult.Not all housewives know that compliance with the rules for the storage of knives can significantly extend the like period of their life and cutting properties.We remember ...
- Keep knives on a magnetic carrier or on a footrest.
- Protect the blade by friction / shock each other and other metal objects.
- Do not use cutting boards of glass and stone, ideal - planks of wood and plastic.
- Ceramic knives are stored only in boxes of paper and hide from the sun.
- Never leave knives in water - wipe dry immediately after washing.Especially after cutting lemon and onion.
- Wash professional knives by hand, using a dishwasher kitchen knives tupyatsya multiply faster.
- Do not use hot water to wash the knives of carbon steel.
- Do not heat the knives.
- regularly edit them soft blades Musatov.
- Use blades for any other purpose.
last tip - do not skimp on the knives. good knife - is not only fast work in the kitchen, but the fun of this job.
And some knives in the kitchen you use?