Uncontrolled seizures against high temperature toddler can frighten even the most stable parent.But do not confuse them with the disease epilepsy, which is absolutely not connected with hyperthermia.Full article about febrile convulsions in children, see below.
See also: First aid a newborn at higher temperatures.
content of the article:
- Causes of febrile seizures in the child
- symptoms of febrile seizures in children
- Treatment of febrile seizures - first aid child
main causes of febrile convulsions in the child- when seizures can occur at high temperature?
root cause is not fully clarified.We only know that one of the contributing factors - immature neural structures and imperfect inhibition in the central nervous system .It provides a low threshold of stimulation and excitation transfer reactions between brain cells to produce seizures.
If the child is older than five or six years, these seizures can be signs of other diseases , because at this age the nervous system is
Of course, every parent thinks, is not this the beginning of epilepsy.The unequivocal answer is no, but there are statistics, according to which only 2% of children with febrile seizures are diagnosed with epilepsy later.
next count alleges that children with epilepsy is 4 times higher than adults.As you can imagine, it says favorable prognosis of the disease babies.
Video: Febrile convulsions in children - causes, symptoms and treatment
So how to distinguish from epileptic seizures usual?
- First , signs of seizures in children under five or six years are shown only to hyperthermia.
- Second , febrile seizures occur for the first time and can be repeated only under such conditions.
Note that the diagnosis of epilepsy can be put in the case of a specific investigation - EEG (electroencephalography).
As for the seizures, they appear every 20th child, and a third of these children repeat .
Often the family can be traced hereditary predisposition - ask your older relatives.
Typical cases of convulsions at high temperature may be associated with SARS, teething, colds, or reaction to the vaccine .
Symptoms and signs of febrile seizures in children - when you need to see a doctor?
- Cramps at the child may look different, however, during the attack, most children not respond to the words and actions of parents .
- They seemed lose touch with the outside world, stopping crying and holding my breath .
- Sometimes during a seizure may occur blue .
cramps usually take Mr. ie more than 15 minutes , rarely repeated.
By the nature of external signs distinguish:
- Local - just twitching limbs and rolled his eyes.
- Tonic - tighten all the muscles in the body, throws back his head, his hands pressed against his knees, his legs straightened and rolled his eyes.The rhythmic jerks and reduce gradually reduced.
- Atonic - quickly relax all the muscles in the body, leading to involuntary release.
If you have seizures need to be examined by a neurologist , which will eliminate the causes and differentiate the disease from different forms of epilepsy.
Usually special diagnosis of seizures at a temperature not required.The doctor is easy to recognize the disease clinical picture.
But in the case of atypical or suspicious symptoms your doctor may prescribe:
- lumbar puncture for meningitis and encephalitis
- EEG (electroencephalogram) to exclude epilepsy
Treatment of febrile seizures in children - what to do if a child having seizures at?
If you are new to febrile convulsions, treatment should be carried out by the following algorithm:
- Call an ambulance .
- Place the baby on a secure flat surface on one side so that the head pointing down.This will help to eliminate fluid from entering the respiratory tract.
- Watch for breathing .If you think that the baby is not breathing, after the seizures begin CPR.
- Leave alone the mouth or insert foreign objects.Any object can break off and block the airway!
- Try to undress the child and provide fresh oxygen.
- Keep the room temperature , normally not more than 20 C.
- Try to bring the temperature down by physical methods, for example, wiping water.
- without departing from the child , not poite and do not enter the drug prior to the termination of seizures.
- Do not try to keep the child - it does not affect the duration of the attack.
- Use antipyretics for children, for example, suppositories with paracetamol.
- Remember data attack (duration, temperature, rise time) for the expected ambulance.If the attack comes to an end after 15 minutes, additional treatment is needed.
- question prevent seizures taking into account the duration and frequency should be discussed with your neurologist.
Unfortunately, in such cases the parents may suspect epilepsy.However, an informed parent should not be afraid of epilepsy and neuroinfections (meningitis enetsefalitov) because in these diseases by timely adequate care depends on a child's life.
Site Colady.ru warns self can harm the health of your child!The diagnosis should be considered only after the physician survey.Therefore, upon detection of the symptoms of febrile seizures in a child, be sure to consult a specialist and carefully follow all medical advice!