All parents raised concerns those soft patches on the baby's head, called the fontanelle.How many crumbs fontanelles?What are they like?When overgrown, and what can tell us?
content of the article:
- How fontanelle in children
- Dimensions fontanelle in children;when he grows?
- Truth and myths about the fontanelle in children
How fontanelle in children: large, small soft spot in the child
Total newborn crumbs on the head 6 fontanelles , of whom 5 closes to leave or, in some cases,By the end of the first 1-3 months after birth - 4 temporal and occipital one small. Large frontal fontanelle delayed the longest.
What you need to know about the fontanelle?
- fontanelle called «gap» between several cranial bones , covered by connective tissue, which, in turn, gradually ossified and facilitates closing fontanelle.
- key role fontanelle - software "elasticity" and the elasticity of the skull at birth and during the first years after them.
- open anterior fontanelle helps protect the distinctive skull : elastic deformation of the skull at impact protects the baby from serious injury due to the cancellation of the kinetic energy of impact.
Dimensions fontanelle the child;When the child grows fontanelle normal?Closing
large fontanelle tracked pediatrician at each inspection.Why do we need such control?Fontanelle condition can be serious signal of any disease or changes in the child's body, so the protrusion and retraction, as well as the early closing or, alternatively, later, may indicate the need for investigation and treatment.
So what are the rules of the size and timing of the closing of the fontanelles?
- formula for calculating the size of fontanelle , which is used by doctors as follows: transverse diameter fontanelle (in cm) + longitudinal (in cm) / 2.
- on average rr little fontanelle (at the back,in the form of a triangle) is 0,5-0,7 cm .Its closure occurs on 1-3-th month after childbirth.
- Middle rr large fontanelle (in the benevolent, diamond shape) - 2,1 cm (from the formula) .Fluctuations - 0,6-3,6 cm. Closing - in 3-24 months.
Truth and myths about the fontanelle in children: what can tell fontanelle in children, really?
Regarding the timing of a tightening of the fontanelles and the state of the people goes much debate, misconceptions and myths.What parents need to know?
- there are no hard rules in size fontanelle.Size - an individual matter, the norm - 0,6-3,6 cm.
- size large fontanelle may increase in the first months of life due to the rapid development of the brain.
- Period closing fontanelle as individual , as the first steps, the teeth and the first "Mom, Dad."
- fontanelle size has nothing to do with the time of its closure.
- growth of the skull bones is due to the expansion of the edges of the skull in the areas of joints and increased cranial bones in the central part.The seam in the middle of the forehead close to 2 years (on average), while the remaining 20 to remain open, so that there is a growth of the skull to its natural adult sizes.
- Accelerate delay fontanelle vitamin D with calcium able only in case of their deficiency.
- Cancel vitamin D for fear that "fontanelle closes too fast" - is, in most cases, erroneous decision of parents .Terms tightening fontanelle - 3-24 months.That is, the "fast" tightening of the question.But the abolition of vitamin D - a serious threat to the health of the baby.
- Careful palpation of fontanelle (the outside it looks like a diamond-shaped pulsating portion - nearly sunken or bulging) can not harm the baby - he is much stronger than it seems parents .
- later closing and too large fontanelle may be signs of rickets, congenital hypothyroidism (deterioration of the thyroid), ahondrodisplazii (a rare disease of bone), chromosomal disorders, congenital diseases of the skeleton.
- Early closure (previously 3 months) fontanelle, coupled with insufficient size and the size of fontanelle head circumference lags behind the norms may indicate a disease of the skeletal system, and abnormalities of the brain.
- a healthy baby location fontanelle slightly higher or lower than the bones of the skull that surrounds it.And also there is a marked pulsation fontanelle.With strong or bulging fontanelle zapadenii should consult your doctor for possible diseases.
- Fallen fontanelle is often a consequence of dehydration.In this case, the child shows excessive drinking and immediately consult a doctor.
- When bulging fontanelle also required medical examination.The cause of the disease can be accompanied by increased intracranial pressure (tumor, meningitis and other serious diseases).When combined with bulging fontanelle symptoms such as high fever, vomiting, head injury, fainting, sudden drowsiness, convulsions or other unexpected symptoms should immediately call a doctor.
As for care fontanel - special protection, it does not need .Wash the section head while bathing a newborn can also be quite easy, then do not wipe, and easy to get wet towel.